Herby Garlic Focaccia
A sudden storm forced us to stop working in the garden one Sunday in the early spring and take refuge in the house , where we came up with this delicious recipe for a Foccacia bread doused with garlic and herbs !! Mmmmmmmm......!!!!
- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- 25g Active yeast
-1 Tbsp sugar
- 5 Cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 Tsp of salt plus coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- 1 cup of extra virgen olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic chopped
- Small bunch each of fresh Parsley and Coriander - chopped
- Combine warm water ,yeast and sugar in a small bowl and leave for 15 mins.
- In the meantime combine the flour , salt and half a cup of olive oil adding the yeast mixture slowly.
- Knead together for 10 mins until the mixture becomes smooth and soft. Give it a sprinkle of flour if the dough is really sticky and tacky.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and continue to knead for a few more minutes.
-Coat the inside of the mixing bowl with olive oil and return the dough to the bowl , cover with plastic wrap and leave for an hourin a warm place until it has doubled in size.
- Oil a baking tin with the rest of the oil and put the dough into the pan , pressing it out to fit the size of the pan. Turn the dough over to coat the other side. Stretch the dough as you go making small finger holes .
- Leave the dough in a warm place until it has doubled in size ( about an hour ) , while the dough is rising preheat the oven to 425 º F or 220 º C.
- Mix the chopped garlic and herbs together in a mortar and add a little oil , smooth this mixture over the top of the dough .
- Bake the dough until the top of the loaf is golden brown ( about 25 / 30 mins ).
- Leave to cool before cutting and serving.
- Enjoy !! ( We did ! )